Friday, October 27, 2006

Tips & Methods to Stop Procrastinating!

Tips & Methods to Stop Procrastinating!

Rationalize!
Rationalize things! This is one of the best methods to overcome most physiological problems that you may have.

Now, that you know how procrastination works and what its causes are, you can easily do this exercise…Here are the simple steps:

1. Realize that you are procrastinating!
2. Try to understand why exactly you are procrastinating
3. Rationalize those reasons and over come them…
4. Begin the task!

It pretty simple, you do not really need 4 steps! We have just mentioned them so that you understand what you are doing. What you need to do is, first understand that you are procrastinating, figure out WHY you are doing it, convince yourself that you are acting foolish and stop! Then begin the work.

Here is something you can use to write your thoughts. It will take 5 mins to actually do this, but it will save you all the time you spend procrastinating. So, I am suggesting that you "actually" fill out this form! I know it feels stupid, but just give it a shot…

I am delaying on _____________ because…

Reasons for delay:
1. _________________________
2. _________________________
3. _________________________
4. _________________________
5. _________________________

Arguments against delay:
1. _________________________
2. _________________________
3. _________________________
4. _________________________
5. _________________________

And so I was just procrastinating and I must begin the task!




Here are some other tools that will help with procrastination…

Make the tasks look small and easy in your mind. ("I've written lots of excellent papers; this is just one more paper.")

Do only a small part of the task each time. ("I'll just check out the books tonight. Later on, I'll glance through them.")

Five-minute plan: Work on something for just five minutes. At the end of five minutes, switch to something else if you want. Chances are, you'll get involved enough to keep going.

Advertise your plans to accomplish something, and let peer pressure push you forward. ("I told everyone that I was going to finish this tonight.")

Use a good friend as a positive role model. If you have trouble concentrating, study in the presence of someone who doesn't.

Modify your environment - if you can't study at home, find a place where you can study; or, change your study situation at home.

Some people find that simply writing down reasonable starting and stopping times help them get going.

Finally, you must understand that, in it's most fundamental form, you procrastinate to avoid frustration. Procrastinators, postpone to avoid frustration. So, you will have to understand and accept this. You will have to train yourself to have a higher level of frustration taking capacity. All this is easier said than done, I know! But work on it. Solve your problems….If you do you will get a whole lot of work done and will be a much much happier person guaranteed!

Personal Note: Generally, the information I provide on indiahowto.com is all from recognized and established sources. They are never personal opinions. However, here I would like to share with you a personal tip I have used to help me with procrastination or any problem that I have...

To solve my procrastination problem, I took a piece of paper and wrote on it in big bold letters, "You are a procrastinator, and you will destroy all your dreams if you do not learn to control your-self!" I stuck this paper on a wall right in front of where I sit. It is what I see when ever I look up so I am constantly aware of it. This keeps me from slipping. I am reminded that I must not procrastinate! That way, now-a-days I am able to waste very little time procrastinating! Besides that, the other techniques I have mentioned above also help a lot!

Best of luck!

Jai Hind!

Stop Procrastinating Now - Here's How! Discover the guaranteed methods that will immediately eliminate procrastination from your life.

technorati tags: